The Christmas season is probably by far the most hectic time of the year, but does it have to be? Even though people are way more busy, it doesn’t necessarily need to be chaotic. Here are 5 tips on how to stay organized (and hopefully a little more sane) during these busy months.
1. Reminders. Set reminders in your phone immediately after you find out about something you need to do. As this becomes a habit, your life will immediately easier and you’ll never have to “remember” what you need to be doing over the next few weeks. Wouldn’t it be terrible if you forgot to deliver that pie you signed up to make for the Christmas social? I like to look ahead at my reminders and calendar each night so I know what I’m up for the next day.
2. Online shopping. Always. Online shopping is maybe the best thing that has ever happened to anyone, ever. Think way back to when online shopping didn’t exist. The absurdly crowded malls, not finding “just the right thing”, spending so much gas driving all over the city just to find a Tickle Me Elmo! I do 99.9% of my holiday shopping online and it was saved my life, especially with small children. No need to worry about little eyes peeking in the back of the shopping cart of trunk of the car.
3. Don’t wait until the last minute. At the end of November and first week of December get most of your Christmas errands done. This way you can enjoy the bulk of the holiday season without having it flash before your eyes. Order what you need to, get wrapping paper, ribbons, decor, gifts, and Christmas cards all squared away. Oh, and don’t forget to order your Chatbooks in time too (wink wink). This will be a busy week or two, but it’s worth it. There is nothing that I dread more than a store the on Christmas eve. Nightmare.
4. Simplify. If your already in over your head with shopping, mailing out cards, and neighbor goodies, it’s okay to say no to those other things that are starting to pile up. The Christmas season really shouldn’t be about busy busy busy.
5. Enjoy. All of that hard work you’ve put into lights, decorating your mantle, and hanging your stockings with care need to be enjoyed. Make sure to do #3 (see above) so you can plop on your couch and just sit and enjoy all of your hard work. Sit, drink hot chocolate and watch Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. You deserve it.