At Chatbooks Inc. (Chatbooks), we recognize the sensitivity of the confidential information that you share with our service, and we are firmly committed to protecting your privacy. Your personal information belongs to you alone, and we do not make any claims to own it when you share it with us. We do not sell or rent it to anyone. We are vigilant about preventing unauthorized people from gaining access to it. This policy explains our information gathering and dissemination practices.
How we collect and use information
We collect information in three ways: (1) you share information using the service, (2) you may purchase something from us, and you would give us credit or debit card information to do that, and (3) we collect some information automatically.
We reserve the right to remove any information posted to any Chatbooks application for any reason. Normally, we would only do this if we believe, in our judgment, that posted information: (i) infringes, misappropriates or violates a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights or other intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy; (ii) violates, or encourages any conduct that would violate, any applicable law or regulation or would give rise to civil liability; (iii) is fraudulent, false, misleading or deceptive; (iv) is defamatory, obscene, pornographic, vulgar or offensive; (v) promotes discrimination, bigotry, racism, hatred, harassment or harm against any individual or group; (vi) is violent or threatening or promotes violence or actions that are threatening to any other person; or (vii) promotes illegal or harmful activities or substances; or (vii) simply isn’t appropriate for a family audience.
We may collect information about your computer, including but not limited to your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and in order to create reports. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
The only cookies in use on our site are for Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Facebook and Pinterest. Google Analytics and Google Adwords is a web analytics and marketing tool that helps website owners directly market to and understand how visitors engage with their website. Google Analytics customers can view a variety of reports about how visitors interact with their website so that they can improve it.
Personal information that you give us
Applications by Chatbooks enable people to discover and share information with one another in Groups. Information about the people who use the website is an integral part of the Chatbooks experience. At a minimum, you must give us certain limited personal information to register as a member of Chatbooks. The basic personal information we collect from new members, who sign-up for Chatbooks, includes:
- A valid and verifiable email address
- A valid and verifiable phone number in some Chatbooks Services
- Your digital content and related titles, captions, and annotations.
You will also be required to select a password. Keeping the password secret is your responsibility. We are not responsible if you let the wrong people have your password, although we will do everything we can to help you if you notify us of a password breach.
The personal information contained in any content you post to the service will be shared with other family or friends who become members of any of your Groups. If you participate in community discussions and chats, we will capture that information. The amount and type of information you share voluntarily in these ways, and the decision whether to share posts, and with whom to share them, is always your choice.
To personalize your experience on Chatbooks and to improve our products and services, we may ask you to provide us with information about your personal or professional interests, demographics and experiences with our products or services. Providing this additional information is optional. If you elect not to share this information with us, it will not affect your access to the service.
We will also use your email address, phone number, and/or other member registration information to advise you of new members and new postings to your Family Group, to let you know about new features or other offers of interest from us or our affiliates, and to address customer service needs and requests.
Other than members of your Family Group, access to your data is limited to our authorized staff and is restricted by our own internal password protection mechanisms.
If you invite others to join a Chatbooks application, or if you create administered accounts for other people, you may be asked to submit to us limited personal information about other people. For example, if you want to invite someone to join one of your Groups, you will be asked to submit the invitee’s name and email address, and/or phone number. In this circumstance, we only collect your invitee’s name, email address, and phone number.
Also, when you share content from any of your Groups, we collect the email addresses, and in some applications the phone number (i.e. Chatbooks), of the recipients of any content you have elected to share with others. We will not disclose these email addresses and phone numbers to any third parties. (Please note, however, that these people will be able to forward your email and phone number containing the shared content to other parties, if they choose.)
Financial Information that you give us
We currently do not take any financial information. Some parts of the Chatbooks experience are available on a paid, continuous subscription basis, and we also offer products and services for sale through our online store. To facilitate payment, we will request certain required personal information from you, including your personal credit card or debit card information.
When you subscribe to any of the paid portions of our service or when you make a purchase from our online store, we will collect the following personal and financial information from you:
- Billing address
- Shipping address
- Phone number
- Credit/debit card information
- Items purchased
We will not share this financial information with anyone outside of our company, other than the financial institutions involved in processing your payment. We will comply in all respects with applicable consumer credit laws.
Please note: If you click away from our website to visit the site of any third party advertiser or sponsor, you may be asked for your payment card or other personal information in order to purchase or use products and services offered. These companies have their own privacy and data collection practices. We have no responsibility or liability for these independent policies. You should therefore review their privacy notices carefully if you have concerns about how your information may be used.
Information we collect automatically
In addition to the personal information you may provide to us as described above, we automatically collect non-personal information to make Chatbooks, and its applications, work better for you. This non-personal information is not associated with information that can identify you. This information helps us evaluate how users and members use our service, such as data analysis, carrying out internal research on how our website is used, audits, developing new products and services, improving our services, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of promotional campaigns.
The technologies we use to gather this non-personal information include:
- IP Addresses: IP addresses define the Internet location of computers and help us better understand the geographic distribution of our members and manage the performance of our website. We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer our website.
- Web logs: To learn about how people use our website, we examine Web logs, which show the paths people take through our site and how long they spend in certain areas. We also use Web logs to detect the type of Web browser you are using so that we can optimize the performance of our Web site and understand the mix of browsers used by our members.
We place great importance on the security of all personally identifiable information associated with our members. We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of member data under our control. For example our security and privacy practices are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorized personnel have access to personal information. We use secure server software to encrypt financial information you input before it is sent to us. While we cannot guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of data will not occur, although we use commercially reasonable efforts to prevent this.
Your Privacy Rights
We will share your personal information only in the following ways:
- Chatbooks personnel and authorized consultants and/or contractors may have access to user information if necessary in the normal course of Chatbooks business.
- Under the protection of appropriate agreements, we use third parties to perform various tasks for us. For example, we will use third parties to process payments from you and to help manage our website and relationships with you. These third-parties are only given access to that information needed to perform their support functions, and are prohibited from using it for other purposes.
- If Chatbooks, or substantially all of its assets, were acquired, user information would be one of the assets that are transferred.
- Except as noted elsewhere in this policy, we will contact you when your personal information is shared with third parties or used for a purpose incompatible with the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected, and you will be able to opt out to prevent the sharing of this information.
You may remove your information from Chatbooks, or any Chatbooks application (i.e. Chatbooks), at any time.
Just send a request to support@Chatbooks. Please allow an appropriate amount of time for us to respond, though we will do all we can to act promptly.
You may “opt out” of email notifications.
By default, we will send you an email notification when:
- Someone you are connected to or someone who has invited you to connect creates a new post
- Someone comments on a post you created or comments on a post you previously commented on
- Someone you are connected to or someone who has invited you to connect asks you a question
- Someone invites you to connect or accepts your invitation to connect.
Email notifications may vary depending on the Chatbooks application Service you are using. In any Chatbooks application you use, you can opt-out of each of these notifications either by following the “unsubscribe” links at the bottom of the email, or if you are a member, managing your Email Notifications on the Settings page of your account.
Changes and updates
Attn: Customer Service
5314 River Run Dr.
Provo, UT 84604
1 (855) 424-2825
Terms of Service
These Terms and Conditions define your rights, responsibilities and benefits as a Member of this Service. By using this Service, you accept these Terms and Conditions in full. If you disagree with these Terms and Conditions in whole or part, you must not use this Service.
We reserve the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time. Your continued use of the Service after any change is made to these Terms and Conditions indicates your acceptance of that change. If you don’t want to be bound by any change to these Terms and Conditions, you must not use this Service.
1. Service Description; Eligibility
Chatbooks, and its applications, are internet services (the “Service”, “we”, “our” or “us”). “You” or “your” means an adult user of any of the services for yourself, and you as parent or guardian for any child under the age of 13 who you expressly invite to join a Group, for whom you will be held liable and strictly responsible. The Service is generally intended for adults. If you invite a minor to join any of your Groups, you are responsible for monitoring the child’s activity on the Service.
2. Use of Service; Security Obligations
In order to create Content, invite other users and create Groups, among other things, you must be a registered member of the Service (a “Member”). To register, you must create a password and username and provide us with a verifiable email address and in some Chatbooks Services, a verifiable phone number. Failure to provide us with accurate, complete and updated registration information will constitute a breach of this Agreement. You may not
- select or use a username which is, includes or comprises the name of another person, in any case with the intent to impersonate that person;
- use the username or password of any person other than yourself without authorization; or
- use a username that we, in our sole discretion, deem offensive.
You are responsible for all usage that originates from your account. You are responsible for the confidentiality of your username and password. You agree to notify us by mail or email of any suspected unauthorized use of your account or breach of security involving your account.
3. Limited Use License
You are licensed to use for personal use only (a) the Service, and (b) the text, photos, video and audio files, links, and other materials (“Content”) which are contributed by other Members of your Groups and which appear as part of the Service.
When you post Content to the Service, you are granting us a limited license to host that Content and distribute that Content to individuals in your Groups in accordance with those individuals’ Notification settings.
The Service is not intended or licensed for commercial use. Any commercial use of the Service is prohibited.
4. Acceptable Use
You agree not to use the Service:
- for any unlawful purposes;
- to upload, Post, order for print, email or otherwise transmit or any material that is or promotes conduct that is obscene, offensive, blasphemous, pornographic, unlawful, threatening, menacing, abusive, harmful, defamatory, libelous, vulgar or illegal, that promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual, that “stalks”, harasses or advocates harassment of another person, or that is otherwise objectionable, in each case as determined by us in our discretion;
- to upload, Post, order for print, email or otherwise transmit or any material that provides instructional information about illegal activities; this may include, but is not limited to, information about making or buying illegal weapons or providing or creating computer viruses;
- to upload, Post, order for print, email or otherwise transmit or any material that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property right or moral right of any person, including Chatbooks, or that constitutes an invasion of the privacy or publicity rights of another;
- to upload, Post, order for print, email or otherwise transmit or communicate any material that you do not have a right to transmit or communicate or that promotes an illegal or unauthorized copy of another person's copyrighted work; this may include, but is not limited to, providing pirated computer programs or links to them, providing information to circumvent manufacturer-installed copy-protect devices, or providing pirated music or links to pirated music files;
- to harm minors in any way; this may include, but is not limited to, uploading, posting, ordering for print, emailing or otherwise transmitting or communicating any content that violates child pornography laws, child sexual exploitation laws and laws prohibiting the depiction of minors engaged in sexual conduct;
- to forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any content posted to, or otherwise communicated or transmitted through the Service;
- to upload, Post, email or otherwise transmit any material which is likely to cause harm to our or anyone else's computer systems, including but not limited to that which contains any virus, code, worm, data or other files or programs designed to damage or allow unauthorized access to the Service that may cause any defect, error, malfunction or corruption to the Service;
- for any activity that involves the transmission of “junk mail,” “chain letters” or unsolicited mass mailing or “spamming”;
- to promote information that you know or believe to be false or misleading;
- for any commercial purpose;
- to impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, an official of Chatbooks, forum leader, guide or host, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity; or
- to provide material support or resources (or to conceal or disguise the nature, location, source, or ownership of material support or resources) to any organization(s) designated by the U.S. government as a foreign terrorist organization pursuant to Section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act;
Even though all of the actions described above are strictly prohibited, it is possible that another user may violate these policies and that you may become exposed to material of the type described above. You waive your right to any damages, whether from us or from any third party, arising from or related to such exposure.
You further agree that:
- You are solely responsible for the Content that you submit, post, publish, display, transmit or communicate (collectively, “Post”) on or using the Service.
- You will not interfere with or disrupt, or attempt to interfere with or disrupt, the Service or any servers, networks or equipment connected to or employed in conjunction with the Service, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations relating to this Service;
- You will not provide any information to us that is false or misleading, that attempts to hide your identity or that you do not have the right to disclose; and
- You will not use email, or any other communication information, from us or our affiliates to create “spam” emails.
5. User Content
You always own the Content that you Post with us (unless someone else owns it, in which case we may need to remove it – see “Acceptable Use” above). You retain all your rights in Content that you Post. If you want to remove it, you can at any time. Our use of your Content is limited to the purposes stated in our Privacy Statement.
Members may post and share Content with individuals and Groups, and may comment on Content shared with them. If you post Content, you affirm, represent and warrant to us that you own or have all rights necessary to post the Content, and to authorize us to use – in accordance with the limited license above – the Content to provide the Service in the ordinary course in the manner contemplated by the Terms and Conditions. You acknowledge that we have the right, but not the obligation, in our sole discretion, to review, refuse to host and/or remove, any Content that is Posted to or available via the Service. Specifically, and without limiting the foregoing, you acknowledge that we may, but have no obligation to, remove Content that we determine, in our sole discretion, is unlawful, offensive, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene or otherwise objectionable or which violates any party's intellectual property rights, our site Terms and Conditions or applicable law. Activity or content which appears, in our sole judgment, to violate the law will be brought to the attention of the proper authorities.
6. Member Disputes
You are solely responsible for your interactions with other users or Members of the Service. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor or to attempt to resolve any dispute or disagreement between you and other Members. We disclaim any liability to any Member arising from or in connection with any such dispute.
All brand, product and service names, including any images or logos, used in conjunction with this Service which identify Chatbooks are, in each case, proprietary marks of Chatbooks. Nothing in this Service shall be deemed to confer on any person any license from Chatbooks with respect to any such brand, product or service name, image or logo.
Please review our Privacy Statement.
9. Service Availability
We employ reasonable measures to try to ensure that the Service is available on a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week basis. However, there will be occasions when the Service will be interrupted for maintenance, upgrades for emergency repairs or due to the failure of telecommunications links or equipment or other circumstances that are beyond our control. Reasonable steps will be taken by us to minimize such disruption where it is within the reasonable control of Chatbooks. From time to time, and without notice to you, Chatbooks may add or delete certain features or function from the services we provide. You agree that Chatbooks shall not be liable to you for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of any of its Services.
10. Liability Disclaimer
The information, products and services included on this Service may include inaccuracies or typographical errors. Changes are periodically added to the information herein. Chatbooks, and its third party suppliers, provide all Content in its Services “AS IS”, and without any warranty of any kind.
NEITHER WE NOR OUR THIRD PARTY SUPPLIERS MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS CONCERNING THE SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY OR ACCURACY OF THE CONTENT OR THE SERVICE FOR ANY PURPOSE. WE AND OUR THIRD PARTY SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTENT AND THE SERVICES, INCLUDING CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN THE CASE OF GOODS OR SERVICES PURCHASED VIA THE SERVICE, ANY WARRANTY IS SUPPLIED BY THE MANUFACTURER AND WE PROVIDE NO SUCH WARRANTY. IN NO CASE WILL WE OR OUR THIRD PARTY PROVIDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST OR DELAY OF USE, LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA OR ANY OTHER DAMAGE IN CONTRACT, TORT, EQUITY OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY THEREOF.
11. Subscription Fees & Payment
Chatbooks includes fee-based subscription Services. As a Member who subscribes to a Service (a “Subscriber”), you understand that membership in a Service is on a continuous service basis. This means that once you have become a Subscriber, your subscription will be automatically renewed and your credit card associated with that subscription will be charged based on the subscription program (e.g., annual, monthly, etc.) you have chosen. Credit card charges will be processed within 24 hours after you complete your subscription, or within 24 hours after your product begins to process (i.e. For monthly photo book subscriptions, you will be charged the day the book begins to produced and shipped). Any products included with your subscription will be shipped promptly thereafter. You will be notified by email 30 days before your subscription automatically renews, and asked to correct any information which has changed. This notification will also be an opportunity to “opt out” of your renewal. Cancellation requests must be received two days before the renewal date for the cancellation to be effective.
We may change our subscription prices at any time and from time to time. Each renewal of your subscription will be at the then standard renewal charge for the subscription period (e.g., annual, etc.) which you originally selected when you subscribed.
12. Special Admonitions for International Use
Recognizing the global nature of the Internet, you agree to comply with all applicable local laws, including but not limited to those regarding online conduct, privacy, copyright and content. Specifically, and without limiting the foregoing, you agree to comply with all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside.
Except to the extent specifically provided above under “Special Admonitions for International Use”, this Agreement is governed by the law of the State of Utah, without regard to any otherwise applicable conflicts of law principles, and the federal law of the United States of America. Any action to enforce this Agreement shall be brought in the federal or state courts located in Salt Lake City, UT.
Official correspondence must be sent via postal mail to:
Attn: Customer Service
5314 River Run Dr.
Provo, UT 84604