This week, whip up a new-to-you smoothie—there are so many options to play with! Oprah.com Food Editor Lynn Andriani shares some of her favorite ideas for getting out of the banana-strawberry rut—all fast, easy, and guaranteed to please. We’ve also included our favorite green smoothie recipe—trust us, it’s not as scary as it seems!
6 Cool Ideas for Mixing Up Your Smoothie
1. The secret of all secrets: add a pinch of kosher salt to your smoothie for extra “what is that?” zing.
2. Pour smoothie mix into popsicle molds and serve on a stick.
3. Give your smoothie a fun name! Lynn has been known to whip up a Berry Berry Boom Chicka Boom Sparkle Smoothie—just the thing for a picky eater.
4. Change up your base: water, coconut water, milk, green tea, juice, or seltzer all make great smoothies.
5. Make a 2-in-1 smoothie: Lynn loves to make coffee smoothies with cold coffee, milk, banana, and ice.
6. Add lemon and ginger to any smoothie for an instant taste boost.
The Easiest Green Smoothie Ever
*All of the ingredients for this are kept in the freezer or pantry–meaning you always have everything on hand for an easy breakfast. Use a high-powered blender for best results.
1 cup water
1/2 ripe banana, peeled and frozen (I keep a big bag of these in the freezer)
1 cup (approximately) of frozen spinach, kale, or collard greens (all available at Whole Foods)
1 heaping spoonful almond butter
Granola or chopped nuts, for serving
Put water in blender, followed by the banana, spinach, and almond butter. Blend, using the tamper (stick) to help things along. Pour into a large mug and top with granola or chopped nuts; eat with a spoon (think of it as creamy green milk and cereal!).